Avila University Archives
Materials in this collection relate to the history of Avila University. These materials form part of the Avila University Archives housed within the Martha Smith, CSJ, Archives and Research Center located in the Hooley-Bundschu Library at Avila University. Avila University is sponsored by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet. The roots of Avila’s history date back to the mid 1800's when the Sisters of St. Joseph arrived in the United States from France. Their mission has been to work for the dear neighbor and Avila has continued this tradition in its mission and values. Avila University was first known as St. Teresa’s College when it was founded as a two year junior college for women in 1916. In 1940 the name was changed to the College of St. Teresa when it became a four year college. In 1963 when the college moved to its new campus location and separated from the academy, the name was changed to Avila College and in 1969 it became co-educational. The college obtained university status in 2002 and is now Avila University.